Who doesn’t like a good burger that they can wrap their laughing gear around?!
There’s something super satisfying about eating a good burger – maybe it’s the flavour combination or that we can eat our burgers with our hands! This Beetroot Burger is a wonderful and healthy dinner – great for singles, couples and families… you can even make the patties ahead of time and freeze them for speed and convenience.
Also, a few words on the brilliant beetroot… they:
- are high in antioxidants
- help fight inflammation
- lower blood pressure
- enhance athletic performance
- help you detoxify
- lower the risk of heart failure and stroke
- support digestive health and
- boost brain function!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 250g cooked brown lentils or kidney beans mashed
- 325g raw beetroot, grated
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp plain flour or almond meal
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra
- Fry the onion, garlic and chilli in the olive oil over a medium heat until soft. Transfer to a plate and place into the fridge to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the lentils/mashed beans, beetroot, walnuts, egg, turmeric, garam masala, paprika, ginger and cooled onion mixture, until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle in the flour (or almond meal) one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is dry and firm enough to stick together. Mould the mixture into six individual burger patties.
- Place burger patties on a large plate or tray and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes so they firm up.
- Heat the extra olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the lentil patties and cook for five-to-six minutes on each side, until caramelised and heated through.
- Serve with your favourite burger toppings and bun! I love eating my burgers with lettuce cups instead of buns. Yummo!
Tip: Lentil burgers go wonderfully with a yoghurt, lemon juice and tahini sauce seasoned with salt and pepper!