As the days become longer and the warmer weather approaches, I start to feel more inclined to lighter foods, as well as entertaining!
The following 3 dips are ones I have been creating lately and can be served warmed or chilled. They are completely plant based, dairy free and are super delish!
Dip into Spring and enjoy!
Broad Bean Dip
- 2 cups cooked, peeled broad beans (this is around 4 cups pre-peeled)
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil (use a lighter flavoured olive oil)
- extra thyme leaves, lemon zest, fresh ground black pepper and olive oil to garnish
- Process together to your desired texture.
- Serve on toast as an alternative to your smashed avo! Sooooo delicious!
Skordalia (Greek potato dip)
- 1 good mashing potato (approx. 300g)
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup lightly flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Peel and chop potato into cubes and boil in salted water for 6-8 minutes until very tender.
- While potato is boiling, crush garlic and mix into a smooth paste with salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- As soon as potatoes are done, drain and transfer to bowl.
- Mash with a fork and fold in garlic paste.
- Allow to sit for a minute and then whizz them together for a minute with your mixer.
- Add the almond flour and the olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Mix for up to 1 minute.
- Serve with crusty or grilled bread or homemade pita chips. It’s also delicious with roasted beets!
Roasted Beet Dip
- 2-3 small-medium beets
- 8 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- Roast beets and garlic:
- Peel beets and garlic and place on a large piece of foil.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, then wrap to form a foil packet.
- Roast at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes until the beets and garlic are tender. Allow to cool before blending into a dip.
- Blend together the beets, garlic, fresh parsley, walnuts, salt, pepper, lemon juice, honey, oil and water
- Serve beet dip chilled or at room temperature with veggies, crackers, or as a spread on sandwiches.