Winter Season’s Greetings! Christmas in July is here and this wholesome roast of nuts is a perfect alternative to the traditional meat roast.
This dish has become a favourite of my friends and is at the top of the menu list every Christmas in July!
30g butter/1 Tbspn of oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely diced
1 leek sliced
1 carrot grated
1 stick celery, diced
3 cups mushrooms, diced
Salt and pepper to season
1 cup fresh bread, pulled into tiny pieces
½ cup plain flour
2 Tbspn sage/rosemary/thyme diced
2 Tbspn parsley, chopped
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ tspn nutmeg (freshly grated is divine!)
250g mixed roasted nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews and macadamias are great!), roughly chopped
- Lightly grease a loaf tin with baking paper
- In a large pan, heat the butter/oil and add the garlic, onion, leek, carrot, celery, mushrooms and salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until the vegetables have softened
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Add fresh bread crumbs, flour, egg, herbs, cheese, nutmeg and nuts and mix thoroughly
- Spoon the nut mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven at 180°C for 45 to 50 minutes.
- When baked, remove and let stand for 10 minutes before turning out
- Garnish with extra roasted nuts and herbs
- Serve with Christmas dinner trimmings, gravy, or with a fresh and spicy tomato sauce!
Vegan options: Cheddar cheese = vegan cheese/ thick cashew cream. Egg = mashed potato/ cornflour/ egg replacer.